Daily Archives: November 2, 2011
Today you can try to get a plenary indulgence.
The conditions are as follows (list is taken straight from Father Z):
1. Visit a church and pray for souls in Purgatory
2. Say one “Our Father” and the “Creed” in the visit to the church
3. Say one “Our Father” and one “Hail Mary” for the Holy Father’s intentions
4. Worthily receive Holy Communion (ideally on the same day if you can get to Mass)
5. Make a sacramental confession within a week of All Souls Day
6. For a plenary indulgence be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin (otherwise, the indulgence is partial, not plenary, “full”).
Note that confession doesn’t have to be today, but can be shifted to, say, Saturday, and Holy Communion doesn’t have to be today either.
The requirement to be free from all attachment to sin, even venial sin, is obviously not easy to achieve, but if we are discouraged and do not try we will not even get the benefit that comes from the trying.
I have written my take on the matter here
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine,
et lux perpetua luceat eis.
Requiescant in pace.