Benedictolatry After Benedict’s Death
I am thinking what will happen to all those practicing Benedictolatry after the man goes to his judgment.
I can think of the following:
- They declare that Benedict is still alive, but has been shipped to some village in Eastern Bavaria, near the Czech Border, with instructions to his jailers to never let him see the light again.
- They declare that Benedict is still alive, and is happily drinking beer in Kloster Andechs (as every German knows, they brew wonderful beers over there…). However, he has decided to let the world believe that he is dead for the greater good of the Church.
- They declare that Benedict is still alive, but is being kept prisoner in a coffin.
Discussion and further hypotheses welcome.
As to me, I am a simple guy and my take is very simple:
- Benedict has resigned. Francis is Pope. Benedict said as much.
- He kept title and white cassock because he did not want to be called a Celestine V.
- he will be called a Benedict XVI. Which, history will say, is much worse.